Living This Creative Life

I have two favorite quotes. The first one is by Emile Zola, "If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I would tell you that I came to live out loud". I don't know who the second one is by, but it goes like this, "If you're not living on the edge then you might as well jump". Both of these sentiments sum up my personal philosophy of this experience we call life on earth. Enjoy!

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

New Beginnings ~ My "Art Every Day" Project for 2013

Art Every Day ~ Day #1, Tuesday, January 1, 2013

I'm one of those rare people who feel that blogging can be very self centered and boring (I say as I sit here writing in hopes that someone will be reading...). So, I don't like to do it unless I feel like I've got something valuable to offer.  Last year and the year before, it was easy for me to add entries because I was doing my "Machine Quilting Challenge". Many of you joined me in that journey and I thank you for the company.

Well, I've been wanting to get back to the blogging, but have been waiting to be inspired by a new idea to share.  Low and behold, as I was up late one night I came across some art on the web that led me to  the website of an artist that was creating something every day.  So, after I entered the words "art every day" into my search box, I was pleasantly surprised by how many people are making art every day.

I am constantly advising my students to find a way to include creative endeavors in their lives every day, but in the last year, I've struggled to get into my personal studio.  I spend so much time in the highly creative activity of dyeing fabrics, fibers and other goodies, that I thought I was getting my creative juices going on a regular basis - but, not so much.

So, I've decided to challenge myself - really challenge myself and not only spend creative time in my studio each day, but to make a finished piece of art every day.  Yes, every day. I was really surprised at how many of my co-workers and friends tried to talk me out of the "every day" idea, suggesting once a week instead.  But, like many other creatives, I really need the daily practice so, I am not heeding their advice, instead, I'm jumping in nipples and all! Here are the parameters that I've set up to follow;
  • Each piece will measure 9" x 11" - This will make them easy to store and easy to show.
  • Each piece will be made from nothing but my own hand dyed/hand painted products - I don't want to invite any other artists into my playroom.
  • Each piece will include layering and machine stitch - no piecing allowed. It takes too long and I don't really like it much.
  • I will strive to finish each piece in just one hour - strive, but not kill myself doing so!
  • My goal is to use the experience to learn more about the interaction of shape and line with negative space. I will also work on adding movement and direction to each piece.
  • Each day I will upload a photo of each new piece to this blog and will add just a few sentences to describe the process of making it or what I learned.
The photo above is my first piece. It uses a base of dye painted batting, some solid black canvas, hand painted cotton and hand dyed cotton and cheesecloth. I really liked it until I added the stitched black flowers. They make the negative space too crowded.  I've got to learn that just because I like to stitch something doesn't mean that it's going to look good where I stitched it (I know this - I just don't like practicing it!)

Happy New Year to You All,
Heather
 

7 comments:

Deb Berkebile said...

I love this idea! I am trying to finish quilts and then move on to art quilts, painted quilts and then painting portrait quilts this year! I will be excited to see your daily inspirations! All you girls that are creative are from Colo. I too lived there for quite a few years! I hope I can be as creative and inspired as you are!

Deb B in NE Ohio...

Deb Berkebile said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hettie Pringle /Stitchingmatters said...

Love the challenge you set for yourself and NO you won't be self centered or boring while sharing and inspiring other quilters. Keep it up, I'll be reading.

me said...

You go, girl!!! I will be reading too- avidly, I might add.
Thanks so much for including us all in your journey so we can learn too!

I don't even feel like I have enough ideas yet to make a finished piece of art every day- but you have inspired me to make a pledge to myself to follow your advice and make time to be creative every day. I feel so much better about everything when I do :)

Deb Berkebile said...

I am so looking forward to this. I can't wait for the inspiration and as you challenge us every day! I guess my art is an expression of my joy!

judy and john said...

Good luck with this Heather. Waiting for each new piece.

Steph said...

Heather - thanks for continuing to be an inspiration to me! I am committed to working on a quilt daily - may not finish one daily, but am progressing on them daily. I have kept your blog up on my computer so I have the pleasure of seeing/reading it everyday. I have decided to take a photo of whatever work I do daily to track my progress and processes. Thanks for continuing your art and growth. Inspires me to do the same. Steph